The Castle of Good HopeCape Town
The Castle of Good Hope is the oldest building in South Africa and was built between 1666 and 1679 by the Dutch East India Company. The Castle was built in a pentagonal shape and has been well preserved, partly due to it being declared a National Monument in 1936. Inside the walls you will find a combination of cultural and military history dating back to the arrival of Jan van Riebeeck to the Cape in 1652. The walls of the castle are traditionally painted yellow due to its ability to reduce the heat and glare from the sunlight.
The Castle is home to the Castle Military Museum depicting the military history of the Cape as well as the William Fehr collection of artworks. In addition the castle houses a church, a bakery, workshops, offices and cells and guided tours introduce the visitor to the dungeons, the dolphin pool and the blacksmith. The Castle is open daily from 9am to 4pm and the Key Ceremony which has been performed since the castles earliest days, depicts the unlocking of the Castle of Good Hope and takes place on Mondays and Fridays at 10:00 and 12:00.