Often referred to as the 'Friendly City', Port Elizabeth is a popular seaside destination and is set on the sunny shores of Algoa Bay. The city is a great family destination with its great beaches, many outdoor activities and lively restaurants and evening entertainment. The long sandy beaches and the warm water of the Indian Ocean make for safe and sheltered swimming and a host for other water activities such as diving, sailing, windsurfing, and fishing.
The town has an interesting history with the first inhabitants being some 4000 British settlers in 1820. Port Elizabeth is named after the wife of the former Cape Governor Sir Rufane Donkin and there are a number of sites of historical interest worth visiting and historical tours are also on offer.
Less than an hour away from Port Elizabeth are the well known Addo Elephant and Shamwari game reserves, amongst others. Port Elizabeth is the ideal starting point for a self-drive safari; alternatively, many of the private lodges have airstrips allowing for direct charter flights.
Articles about Port Elizabeth
- 24 Hours in PE
- 10 Reasons to Visit the Friendly City
- Safaris to Visit Near Port Elizabeth
- PE Restaurants with a Sea View
- Beer Tasting across Port Elizabeth
- 5 Breakfast Spots in PE
- A Guide to PE's Stanley Street
- 7 Budget Beachside Stays in the Eastern Cape
- Fantastic Holiday at The Farmhouse B&B in Port Elizabeth
- Wonderful Holiday at Moramba Self Catering in Port Elizabeth
- A Great Family Holiday at Madison on First