From the warm waters of the subtropical Durban coastline to the majestic Drakensberg mountains, KwaZulu Natal has a variety of landscapes and recreational activities to offer the traveler.
The five regions namely South Coast, Midlands, Drakensberg and Durban & North Coast each have an individual feel and flavour.
The South Coast, including Amanzimtoti, Scottburgh, Margate and Port Shepstone offers long stretches of white, sandy beaches and is a popular family holiday destination.
The Midlands, with its well-known Midlands Meander, is a region of gentle rolling hills, deep river valleys and a place to enjoy quiet and solitude. These are the hills that Shaka fought for and conquered to make it home of the Zulu nation. The city of Pietermaritzburg is located in an amphitheatre formed by the valley of the Umzindusi River and offers a variety of historical buildings, galleries and museums.
The majestic Drakensberg mountains rise to peaks of over 3000 metres and separate the low-lying coastal belt from the high plateau of the interior. The foothills provide solitude for nature lovers, hikers and ramblers. There are a number of national parks in the area providing spectacular scenery and many opportunities for hiking and camping.
Durban is the economic hub of the province and the city has developed around the busiest port in Africa. Attractions in the area include beaches, the aquarium and dophinarium, various historical buildings and a number of conservation areas including the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park, the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park and the Mtunzini and Umlalozi Nature Reserves.
The province enjoys a pleasant and warm climate all year round with the subtropical Indian Ocean bringing warm waters to the many beaches dotting the coastline.
Articles about KwaZulu-Natal
- What to do in the Natal Midlands
- 24 Hours in Durban
- Photographer's Visit to St Lucia
- Mountain Biking in KwaZulu-Natal
- Our Guide to Durban
- Romantic Getaways in KwaZulu-Natal
- A Surfer's Guide to KwaZulu Natal
- 9 Places to Stay on the Midlands Meander
- Enjoy the Last Summer Sun on the KwaZulu-Natal Coast
- Don't Miss Out on Making Family Memories
- 11 Coastal KZN Stays for December
- Great Stay at Josco Smith Cottage in Durban.
- A magical stay at Phezulu Safari Park
- An amazing stay at All Seasons
- 10 Country stays in KwaZulu-Natal
- 5 Historical Stays in KwaZulu-Natal
- Affordable Backpacking in KwaZulu-Natal
- 5 Small Town Stays in KwaZulu-Natal
- 4 great farm stays in KwaZulu-Natal
- 3 lovely Boutique Hotels in KwaZulu-Natal
- 7 Great stays on the water in KwaZulu-Natal
- 6 Great Bushveld stays in KwaZulu-Natal
- 5 Awesome pet friendly stays in KwaZulu-Natal
- Romantic stays in and around KwaZulu-Natal
- Amazing Glamping and Camping Spots in KwaZulu-Natal
- Yonwabela uhlobo phandle nathi!