Situated at the foot of the Boland Mountains and in the heart of the Cape winelands, the bustling town of Stellenbosch is popular amongst tourists and locals alike. Founded by Simon van der Stel in 1679, it is the second oldest town in South Africa and is filled with spirit and steeped in history. Traditional Cape Dutch buildings, museums, galleries and historic buildings are scattered along the picturesque oak lined streets.
Stellenbosch is a university town and offers a vibrant nightlife, live music and variety of coffee shops and good restaurants in and around town that serve both typical South African and international cuisines.
The area is one rich in scenery and nature and offers many outdoor activities including world-class golf courses and several mountain biking and hiking trails. Not to be forgotten, and indeed one of the main attractions of the area, are the 200 or more wine estates which dot the valley where visitors can enjoy cellar tours and wine tastings in beautiful surroundings and amongst sprawling vineyards. Wine connoisseurs will definitely need a day or two!
Accommodation in Stellenbosch ranges from luxurious hotels set amongst vineyards to boutique B&Bs in the heart of the town centre.
Articles about Stellenbosch
- A Walk Down Dorp Street in Stellenbosch
- Stellenbosch's New Drive-in
- Backsberg Picnic Concerts
- 24 Hours in Stellenbosch
- Fruit Picking in the Cape
- Wine Estates to Visit in Stellenbosch
- Giraffe Encounters near Stellenbosch
- Aaldering in a Stellenbosch Valley
- Art and Stellenbosch's Majeka House
- A Cottage Amongst the Vineyards
- Winelands Luxury at Majestic Majeka
- Stellenbosch's Charming Eendracht Hotel
- A Perfect Stay in Stellenbosch at Coopmanhuijs
- Family Fun at Marshden Estate in Stellenbosch
- The Orchard Cottages at Boschendal
- Lovely Lady Lanzerac
- An Unforgettable Stellenbosch Stay at Rusthuiz
- Must-See Art in Stellenbosch
- Food Markets in Stellenbosch
- Duck Parade and Blending Experience at Vergenoegd
- Unusual Wine tasting experiences
- 10 Historical Stays in Western Cape