The Art Of Charcuterie With Richard BosmanCape Town
FULL WEEKEND EXPERIENCE
R6250 pp sharing, R2250 for non-participant sharing, inclusive of 2 nights accommodation, all meals, course, take away hamper, listed excursions, booklet and special apron.
African Relish is excited to offer the opportunity to spend a weekend with charcutier Richard Bosman and be part of a master class in learning the ancient art of curing and preserving meat.
Richard Bosman will once again be conducting a series of basic lessons in various charcuterie techniques along with resident chef Gavin Memper. From pig to pot guests will begin the process with learning butchering techniques through to salting, smoking, drying and eating.
Richard Bosman’s Quality Cured Meats is committed to producing excellent cured meats using traditional methods. After five successful years running the Deli in Hermanus, owner Richard Bosman decided to set up a factory to produce Italian and Spanish style cured meats. With input from fleischmeister Walter Haller, the factory uses traditional salting and drying techniques to create something special and unique. The two most important ingredients in the process are the pork and time.
The company has developed a special relationship with pig farmer Charlie Crowther in the Hemel and Aarde valley outside Hermanus, cross breeding Duroc and Large White pigs raised free range supplementing their diet with acorns during the last month of their breeding. Due to their active lifestyle the quality and flavour of the meat is superior.
* 12:00 Arrive at African Relish and settle in to accommodation.
* 13:00 Enjoy a light lunch with Richard and the African Relish team.
* 14:30 Cooking session. Introduction. Discussion about the principles of charcuterie with some interesting background and demo sessions. Preparation of various meat cuts for preserving.
* 18:00 Ghost walk and village ramble - Ailsa Tudhope, historian and story teller, takes you on a journey back in time with tales of ghosts and village rogues from
* 20:00 Welcome dinner at African Relish
* 08:30 Visit to Saturday market for some local flavour.
* 09:00 Breakfast at African Relish
* 10:00 Cooking session. Demonstration of knife skills and basic butchery. Curing and salting, Prep for rillettes and sausages. Creative sausage making session.
* 13:00 - Light lunch at African Relish
* 14:30 Cooking session 2. Salami, prosciutto and coppa. Salami prep and stuffing.
* 17:00 At leisure
* 20:00 Dinner at African Relish where we enjoy the fruits of the day’s culinary endeavours.
* 07:45 - Gather at African Relish for coffee and rusks. Botanical excursion with Dr Sue Milton. Renowned botanist and specialist in Karoo biome biology.
* 10:30 - Karoo brunch with our freshly made sausages and bacon.
* 12:00 - Depart on onward journey